Meetings tech expert Corbin Ball suggests meeting and event planners ask venues the following data-security questions before contracting for a meeting:
- How secure is their computing environment?
- Is there a firewall protecting the database in addition to the one in front of the web server?
- What are their access control policies and procedures to the servers?
- What is the level of data encryption?
- How are financial transactions handled?
- What are the security procedures for handling credit cards?
- Are credit cards processed automatically and in real time?
- Can multiple payment types (credit cards, checks, purchase orders) be accommodated?
- Is secure socket layer technology used?