Crashing a hammer through a sheetrock wall, Albuquerque Mayor Richard J. Berry kicked off the renovation on the first phase of the Albuquerque Convention Center this week.
Phase I of the $20 million project is scheduled for completion in August 2013 and includes:
- Renovation of the West Building upper level ballrooms A, B, and C and adjacent restrooms including new ceiling, wall and floor treatments, moveable partitions, lighting, an improved sound system and other improvements.
- Renovation of the West Building lower level kitchen including a new layout and improved food service equipment plus a food tasting and demonstration room.
- Installation of a new service corridor and service elevator for the ballrooms.
- Demolition of the south ramp to the loading dock.
- Recoating of the East Building exterior walls and parapets including the skybridge over 2nd Street.
Phase II will begin in Fall 2013 and is scheduled for completion in summer 2014.